Ethical hacking, also known as “white hat” hacking or pentesting, is the practice of using hacking techniques and tools to test the security of a computer system. The goal of an ethical hacker is to improve the security of the system by identifying and addressing weaknesses that can be exploited by malicious hackers. Recent reports say that the demand for Cybersecurity engineers is at an all-time high. If you are thinking of a career in cybersecurity, this is a perfect time1.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to become an ethical hacker in 2023:
- Learn the Different Types of Cyber Attacks: The first thing you have to do is understand the different types of attacks. This will help give you an idea about what you will be dealing with as a cybersecurity engineer. Some common types of cyber attacks include malware attacks, phishing attacks, denial of service (DoS) attacks, SQL injection attacks, cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks, password attacks, and wireless attacks1.
- Create a Solid Foundation: Before you continue on your quest to become an ethical hacker, you must first create a solid foundation2.
- Obtain Relevant Education: You need to obtain relevant education in order to become an ethical hacker2.
- Gain Proficiency in Networking and System Administration: You need to gain proficiency in networking and system administration in order to become an ethical hacker2.https://images.pexels.com/photos/5380635/pexels-photo-5380635.jpeg
- Learn to Programme and Script: You need to learn how to program and script in order to become an ethical hacker2.
- Study Web Technologies: You need to study web technologies in order to become an ethical hacker2.
- Dive into Cybersecurity Principles: You need to dive into cybersecurity principles in order to become an ethical hacker2.
- Investigate Ethical Hacking Tools and Methods: You need to investigate ethical hacking tools and methods in order to become an ethical hacker2.
- Participate in Practical Experience: You need to participate in practical experience in order to become an ethical hacker2.
- Get Certified: Getting certified can help you stand out from other candidates when applying for jobs as an ethical hacker3.
- Build Your Portfolio: Building your portfolio can help you showcase your skills and experience as an ethical hacker3.
- Pursue an Internship: Pursuing an internship can help you gain valuable experience as an ethical hacker3.
- Find a Mentor: Finding a mentor can help you learn from someone who has already been successful as an ethical hacker3.
- Your Network Is Your Net Worth: Building your network can help you find job opportunities as an ethical hacker3.
- Polish Your Resume, Apply for Entry-Level Roles and Start Climbing: Once you have gained the necessary skills and experience, it’s time to polish your resume, apply for entry-level roles, and start climbing the ladder as an ethical hacker3.
- Complete a Course: Completing a course can help you learn more about becoming an ethical hacker3.
By following these steps, you can be well on your way to becoming an ethical hacker in 2023! Good luck! 😊